Posted on : 19-12-2015
Gingee Fort is located at Gingee, Villupuram District, Tamil Nadu. The British called this fort as Troy of East. The fort covers 11 sq km of land. Pondicherry and Arcot are the prominent gateways of this fort. Huge Granaries, seven storeyed Kalyana Mahal, Audience hall, a palace complex, private chambers for the council of ministers and Elephant tank, Kamalakkani Amman Temple, Venkataramana Temple, Sadaatullah Khan's mosque, bastion with guns, magazine, etc are found within the fort complex. A tunnel connected this fort and a temple at Singavaram. Archaeological Survey of India is presently administering this fort. Archaeological Department declared this fortress as National Monument in 1921. The fort remains open from 9:00 AM – 5:30 PM. Indian Citizens and SAARC Visitors have to pay entrance fee of Rs. 5/- per person. Children aged below 15 yrs are allowed free into the fort. Others have to pay 2 US $ as entry fee.
Anada Kon constructed this hill fort. During 17th century AD the fort fell in the hands of Nayak Kings. Shivaji, Maratha King, captured this fort in 1677 AD. During 1660 Bijapur Sultans ruled this region and fort and they lost the fort to Shivaji, Maratha ruler in 1677. In 1698 Mughals captured the fort and was christened as Nusratgadh. Raja Tej Singh and Arcot Nawab encountered in a battle and Arcot Nawab forces captured the fort. Raja Tej Singh lost his life in the war. Thesingu Raajan, Tamil tale, is prominent even now which tells the fort and the tragic end of Raja Tej Singh. In 1714 the fort fell in the hands of Arcot Nawab. In 1750 French troops captured this fort but lost to the British forces in 1761.
Rajagiri hillock is also known as Anandagiri and Kamalagiri. It encompasses royal buildings. Huge Granaries, seven storeyed Kalyana Mahal, Audience hall, a palace complex, private chambers for the council of ministers and Elephant tank are found here.
It is believed that during French regime Pondicherry Gate and Arcot Gate was developed. Archaeological Survey of India established a museum at the fort entrance which boasts weapons, sculptures, granite cannonballs, etc.
This hillock is also called as English Mountain. Since the British residents settled at this place the hillock is called so. Visitors have to climb granite steps to reach the top. Low rocky ridge connected this fort with Chandragiri. Krishnagiri hillock encompasses Krishna Temple and pleasure pavilions.
This is also known as St. George’s Mountain or Chandrayan Durg or Chakklidurg or Chamar Tikri. Military shoemakers and saddlers established their workshops at this place. Presently this place is in ruined stage.
Geographical position of Gingee Fort:
Gingee Fort at Gingee is located at 12.253426, 79.403948 or 12°15'12.3"N 79°24'14.2"E.