Clarke Quay

Posted on 2015-12-19 17:44:02

\n

Clarke Quay is one of Singapore\'s oldest quays situated on the mouth of Boat Quay and Singapore River. There is a road stretching along the quay which has also been christened as Clarke Quay. Part of the road was developed as Pedestrian Mall. Originally there were two streets namely West Street and East Street near the Clarke Quay.

Etymology

It was christened in reminiscence of Singapore’s Second Governor, Clarke Quay who played vital part in positioning the Malay State’s main port at Singapore. 1896 the two streets were officially named as Clarke Street. Clarke Street had also been transformed a

Brihadeeswara Temple

Posted on 2015-12-19 17:40:30

Brihadeeswara Temple is a millennium\nold Saivaite\ntemple located at Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu. This temple had been devoted to Lord Shiva\nand is worshipped as Brihadeshwarar. This temple is also known as Raja\nRajeswarar Temple or Rajarajeswaram or Periya Kovil. Raja Raja Chola I, Chola\nking, constructed this temple in 1010 AD. Idols of\nDakshinamurthy, Kubera, Yama, Indran, Varuna, Isana, Agni, Vayu and Raksasa are\npresent here. The\ntemple stands proud for over thousand years and is a marvelous example for a Great Living\nChola Temples and this temple is also an UNESCO World Heritage Site. Dravidian\nstyle of architecture was followed in the erection. It portrays the world about\nthe C

Gandhi Museum

Posted on 2015-12-19 17:32:23

\n United Nations Organisation(UNO) selected\nthis museum as the Peace Museums Worldwide. Open Air Theatre and a library have\nbeen established on the northern side of this complex. This museum has on\ndisplay original letters written by Mahatma to several important persons,\nIllustrations about Freedom Movement in India, Biography of Gandhi, artifacts\nof Gandhi, etc. This museum is a registered society and is governed by\nExecutive and General Body Members. Jawaharlal Nehru, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr\n& Mrs. Coretta Scott King, Jayaprakash Narayanan, Dr. S. Radhakrishnan,\nV.V. Giri, Neelam Sanjiva Reddy, Dalai Lama, Miss. Anita Bose and Zakir Hussain\nare the eminent persons who had vi

Gingee Fort

Posted on 2015-12-19 17:28:45

Gingee\nFort is located at Gingee, Villupuram District, Tamil Nadu. The British called\nthis fort as Troy of East. The fort covers 11 sq km of land. Pondicherry and\nArcot are the prominent gateways of this fort. Huge Granaries, seven storeyed\nKalyana Mahal, Audience hall, a palace complex, private chambers for the\ncouncil of ministers and Elephant tank, Kamalakkani Amman Temple, Venkataramana\nTemple, Sadaatullah Khan\'s mosque, bastion with guns, magazine, etc are found\nwithin the fort complex. A tunnel connected this fort and a temple at\nSingavaram. Archaeological Survey of India is presently administering this\nfort. Archaeological Department declared this fortress as National

Tamil Nadu

Posted on 2015-12-17 20:47:47

Introduction

Tamil Nadu, situated on the \nsouthernmost part of India, is the eleventh largest state among the 29 \nstates in the country. The state is named after the people and the \nlanguage spoken (Tamil Nadu – “Tamil” language and Nadu meaning \ncountry”. Kerala, Karnataka, and Andhra Pradesh are the neighbouring \nstates and Pondicherry or Puducherry is the nearest union territory to \nthe state on the Indian Mainland. The state is bordered by two seas \nnamely Bay of Bengal in the east and Indian Ocean in the south. Eastern\n Ghats on the northern side and the state of Kerala on the west mark the\n land boundaries of the state. Kanyakumari, a district in Tamil Nad